Gamealot would be nothing without YOU—the people willing to host the games!
Who Can Host?
Everyone is welcome to host a game! To be a host you MUST:
- Have access to a complete copy of the game you wish to run if you wish to run it on Skype or some other video based platform. Gamealot organizers do not supply copies of the games hosted, and there is no onsite board game library this year.
- Know the rules thoroughly ahead of time in order to clearly explain the game to your players and still have enough time to play.
- Know how to explain playing the game in the platform (how to roll dice, draw cards, place tokens….)
How to Register as a Host
- Purchase an Entry Badge
- Submit your game(s) for approval. You will be notified by email once the game has been approved.
Choosing a Game to Host
- We invite you to host any published board game or Role Playing Game.
- Hosts may set age minimums on their games.
- You will be notified by email once the game(s) you’ve selected to host has been approved.
- Please be familiar with the platform that you are hosting the game on, and be able to explain how to play the game to your players
A Note about Role Playing Games
This year, we are dedicating some ‘tables’ to Role Playing Games.
- RPG sessions will be no longer than 4-6 hours. This includes time to set up, explain, and clean up the game.
- Because there are a limited number of tables and times for RPGs, all sessions will be one-off campaigns. Hosts may not book consecutive sessions in order to extend their campaigns.
- The host needs to supply character sheets.
- GMs are to determine how dice get rolled!
- We are a family friendly event. Please keep this in mind when choosing an RPG.
Hosts can win a Game-a-loot box!
The first 20 hosts whose games qualify will receive a LOOT box!
- Games must be 4 or more player games
- Games have to run during the event
- Hosts must be able to pick up the box at Mission: Fun & Games or designate someone to pick it up for them. (However if you place an online order the store will include it in your shipment)
If multiple people in the same house host games, the boxes will contain unique games, please let us know prior to picking up your LOOT!
Host Game-a-loot boxes can be picked up on Tuesday October 26 at Mission: Fun & Games from 10 – 6.
Preparing to Host
- Make sure your game has all necessary the pieces if hosting using a camera format.
- Consider sending out links to “player aids” (a.k.a reference cards at a glance). The manufacturer’s website or Board Game Geek might have these available online if they weren’t supplied with the game.
- Familiarize yourself with the Safety Tools available at the table.
- Check the Schedule page to ensure the platform is correct and how many players have signed up to play.
Running Your Game
- Confirm the players who signed up are in attendance. On the Gamealot.games website click on Host, then click Events I’m Hosting. There you will see the Platform and the Table, as well as the Attendees.
- Players listed on your game sheet have priority over drop-in players. If a player does not join the table within 10 minutes of the start of your session, you reserve the right to give their seat to someone on the waitlist of another player.
- You will be able to find the Platform and Table on the Gamealot Discord site. You have both text and chat options.
- Remember to introduce yourself and facilitate introductions around the table.
- Explain the rules of the game. Discuss the strategy and winning tactics prior to starting the game. Ensure all players understand what is going on and how to use the platform.
- Gather the usernames of the people in the discord chat so that you can invite them specifically to your game.
- Check the time regularly to ensure your gaming session does not run overtime. **If your game runs long, you may be asked to end the game before it’s over to accommodate the next game assigned to that room and allow the players to participate in other games they may have signed up for.**
Things to Remember
- As the moderator and host, ensuring your guests are engaged should be your priority.
- We do not tolerate harassment of any kind. Please help maintain a positive, friendly atmosphere by discouraging poor sportsmanship, and if necessary, reporting foul language or crude behaviour.
- HAVE FUN